Wednesday, January 12, 2011

What happened when I found an Indian poetess...

I have a confession to make: I have never touched Indian poetry or poets/poetesses. I'm drawn to and relish the likes of e.e.cummings, Langston Hughes, Maya Angelou et al. But it's been an ongoing effort on my part to learn more about contemporary Indian writers. So imagine my pleasant surprise when I discovered a Indian poetess from very early 20th century. Here is the woman I'm talking about...


Poet's Parlour
Padmabhushan Nalappat Balamani Amma: A poetess who loved children

Nalappat Balamani Amma was born in Kerala in the year 1909. She is considered to be one of the best Malyali poetess and won the Saraswathi Samman, which is the highest literary medal in India. She is also a Padmabhushan awardee - the third highest civilian award. But Balamani Amma never went to school; she was tutored at home and learned Sanskrit and English Literature. Balamani Amma is also the mother of Kamala Das, a famous writer who wrote many Malayalam short stories as well as English poems. A lot of Balamani Amma's poetry is on the love for children and grandchildren. This is one the reasons she is called the Mother/ Grandmother of Malayalam poetry. Balamani Amma passed away on September 29, 2004, at the age of 95.

No comments:

Post a Comment